Saturday, February 9, 2008

Whew!

Just back from my district caucus. Someone announced attendance of 583, but it had to be closer to 1000. There were 20 precincts represented. Mine, which seemed no larger or smaller than most, had 54 people. A friend's had something like 74. No parking and lines out the door. I remember the '96 caucus have a total of about 20 people. Some precincts weren't even represented. My precinct went 34-20 for Obama. T.'s went 70-2 for Obama. A friend texted me that hers looked like 4-1 for him. He's going to roll in Western Washington. He's actually organized in Eastern Washington, so I expect him to do well there.

The caucus process is confusing and arcane. It's hard for some people to commit an afternoon. The causcus is also full of energy and humanity, and in many ways shows the democratic process at its best. Neighbors meet and debate and choose representatives from among themselves. As one man at his first caucus told me, the caucus is so much more personal than voting. Nice story about a first-timer's experience here; don't miss the slide show.

The involvement and excitement of young people is inspiring. Two of my precincts five delegates (three Obama and two Clinton) are college students. I've known both of them since grade school. T.'s son decided to go at the last minute and became a delegate. It's wonderful to be a part of the process and just as wonderful to see young people -- the future, after all --become invested in said process. I've been going to caucuses in Texas and Washington since I was 18; I always come away feeling great about this country.

1 comment:

Foxessa said...

That may be the attraction that Obama has -- that he is able to inspire real enthusiasm among the less cynical and disillusioned among us, particularly the younger voters. It gives a feel that he's not so much a part of that inner beltway circle of endless daisychain of moving money from one friend's pocket to another's.

That this is more illusion that reality -- well politics is almost always that.

And sometimes, on the occasions when it is not, one often wishes that things hadn't turned real.

Love, C.