Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Web Of The Web

  1. Late in the 15th Century, the ooze and slime of the Spanish Inquisition popularized waterboarding as an enhanced interrogation technique.
  2. The United States Army introduces the "water cure" during the 1902 Filipino insurrection, thus leading to the first reform movement opposing this particular technique. "It is a terrible torture," writes one soldier.
  3. In 2005, ABC News reports that the CIA uses a "modern form" of water boarding on suspected terrorists.
  4. On March 8, 2008, President Bush announces that he has vetoed a bill proscribing the use of waterboarding.
  5. That same day, I blog about the veto.
  6. A comment by Scrumpy's Baker's gets me to thinking about the notion of American Exceptionalism.
  7. I read up on the topic of American Exceptionalism in Wikipedia.
  8. The article makes a reference to the French Revolution. I've never quite understood why historians view the impact of the American Revolution as a pistol shot compared to the atom bomb of the French Revolution. The Wikipedia article isn't much help, but it does refer me to Liberty, Equality, Fraternity: Exploring the French Revolution, developed jointly by George Mason University and the City University of New York. (The web site clears up the question, but that's another blog entry.)
  9. The web site includes an essay on Songs of the Revolution. I decide that I want to hear "La Marseillais," but the connection speed is too slow.
  10. I download a 1930's rendtion by the Spanish tenor Miguel Fleta ("The Lord High Keeper of the Seal of the Ancient Vocal Method.")
  11. I burn the download onto a CD and play it at max volume, which garners a bemused mention from Premium T.

3 comments:

Scrumpy said...

I feel wonderfully self-important now.

One of my hidden talents is my ability to sing La Marseilles. I sang it in 9th grade French for extra credit and will never forget the words. I love that scene in Casablanca when they all sing it to spite the Nazis.

The French Revolution thing is an oddity to me, you'll have to fill me in. My husband's sister was killed in a terrible way and at the funeral the entire service was based on how the priest felt the French Revolution caused all of the ills in the world.

My take aways were "Okay, so the bakers of France are responsible for Sara's death and not the crazy bastard who killed her." & "This is incredibly inappropriate for a funeral, what have I gotten myself into with this family?"

K. said...

Love that scene in Casablanca! This makes me want to watch the movie.

The French Revolution was anticlerical, among many other things. It ended the involvement the RC Church had on French political and precipitated the decline of the Church as a force in European politics. The Revolution also called for rule by reason and dismissed the idea of deity proactively in individual and national affairs.

Scrumpy said...

That little paragraph completely sums it up for me. Not being "one of the faithful" sometimes I have a hard time understanding such perspectives.

I read a Catholic forum everyday just to remind myself of the differing viewpoints out there.
I'm thinking about moving to a 12x12 shack in Montana.