- relies on an insurance business that opens the system to the healthy and closes it to the sick, resulting in an ever increasing number of uninsured without access to care;
- shifts the cost burden onto patients and providers;
- rations care by denying coverage, limiting coverage, delaying payment, and establishing caps;
- is inefficient and burdened with administrative costs;
- shortsightedly discourages preventative care, creating long-term health problems and costs in interests of of short-term profit;
- discourages competition;
- prevents consumer knowledge and choice;
- discourages the tracking, recording, and dissemination of information about outcomes;
- impedes providers and patients from acting on such information in the few instances that it exists.
One can only conclude that they are cynical, craven, and/or laboring under the illusion that the BHCSIW would be the BHCSIW if only they could Get Government Out of Health Care (GTGOOHC). But what does that mean? Literally, GTGOOHC means:
- repealing the Affordable Care Act
- privatizing Medicare/Medicaid
- privatizing the Veterans Administration
- ending the employer/employee tax exemption on health care expenses
- defunding the Center for Disease Control, the National Institute of Health, the Food and Drug Administration, and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms
- curtailing or ending clean air and water regulations
Given that list, GTGOOHC is about as likely to happen in this country as a single payer system: There are too many special interests invested in the status quo to permit such a radical change, nor would the electorate stand for it. Instead we'll lumber along with the Only Health Care That Can Be Squeezed Out Of Our Broken Political System After Seventy-five Years Of Straining & Groaning (OHCTCBOOOBPSASYS&G).
In any case, the when the rightist politicians talk loftily of GTGOOHC, it's just that: Cheap talk. They don't have the guts to explain what it really means, nor do they have the evidence to make a serious case for it. Unless you count sloganeering and quotes from Ayn Rand as evidence...