Tuesday, October 26, 2010

R.I.P., Cool Ruler

Gregory "Cool Ruler" Isaacs, the reggae giant who reputedly recorded over 500 albums, has died at the age of 59, reportedly of lung cancer. Night NurseIsaac's best known album, largely eschews the themes of rebellion and freedom that dominated the reggae of the '70s and '80s in favor of a set of lilting, approachable love songs.

Not that Isaacs wasn't capable of articulating the historic plight of Jamaica's slaves. Listen to "Slavemaster":


Isaac's classic "Night Nurse" expressed his Marvin Gaye-like conviction in the restorative powers of love and sex:
I don't wanna see no doc
I need attendance from my nurse around the clock
'Cause there's no prescription for me
She's the one, the only remedy

1 comment:

RGG said...

"Night Nurse" is on my list of Must Have Reggae Albums.
The number of singers who have been performing since the 1960s is small, the number of reggae singers who have been performing for that time is even smaller.
We lost a good one.

He has a pretty funny turn in the movie "Rockers", working as a safe-cracker.