Saturday, March 21, 2009

Weekly Address


"These investments are not a wish list of priorities that I picked out of thin air – they are a central part of a comprehensive strategy to grow this economy by attacking the very problems that have dragged it down for too long: the high cost of health care and our dependence on oil; our education deficit and our fiscal deficit..."

Earlier this week, House Republican leader claimed that there had been no deregulation of the banking and finance business:



Liberals have rushed to accuse Boehner of lying, but I'm not so sure. I suspect that he's so rigid and doctrinaire that he actually believes what he's saying. This perspective opens up a potentially productive line of attack for Democrats: On the few occasions when Republicans don't lie, the truth is even worse. Adlai Stevenson put it best back in the Fifties: If the Republicans will stop telling lies about us (Democrats), we'll stop telling the truth about them. (For more on Stevenson -- one of the great figures of the 1950's -- go here.)...

Yesterday, I treated myself to this video--


--and this morning I'm on a Bob Dylan jag, starting with Nashville Skyline and moving on to Freewheeling. I have a feeling that Bringing It All Back Home will be next...

Town and Country: Foxessa reports from New Orleans. Great pictures...Speaking of which, don't miss these old coots...Click here, scroll down, and enjoy...


R. I. P., Eddie Bo. Here he is at an in-store appearance at the Louisiana Music Factory:



Here, he performs "Mother-in-Law" with Lillian Boutte on vocals.

2 comments:

Roy said...

I'd never heard of Eddie Bo before. And now he's gone. Huh! I always come along after the party's over! I like his little take on Ray Charles.

? said...

K, thanks for the update. Had heard lots about Eddie. He's a great guy. He's being missed. Its quite hard to come across such originality these days.