Friday, July 11, 2008

Fort Dunree, Donegal

Wednesday, we circled the Inishowen Peninsula in Donegal. Our first stop was at Fort Dunree, originally built and garrisoned by the British during the Napoleonic Wars. Although located in what was then Irish Free State, the English only formally ceded it to Ireland just prior to World War II. Today, it is a museum that also offers stunning view on the hike up to the redoubt commanding Lough Swilly. Abandoned barracks and other outbuildings afforded the photos seen here.


Four corrugated window covers (click to enlarge), with apologies to Sean Scully:


More on Sean Scully here.

Friday's Choice: The late, great Rory Gallagher channels Muddy Waters' "Out On The Western Plain"

5 comments:

Ima Wizer said...

Wonderful photos! I love these colors. I feel like I am traveling with you!!!!

K. said...

Thanks! Re the colors, a fair share of the credit goes to iPhoto and to Premium T., who walked me through the arcana of color manipulation.

T. said...

Don't give me too much credit...I just started messing with this stuff a few weeks ago.

Frank Partisan said...

Very nice pix. They gave you a feeling of being there.

mouse (aka kimy) said...

I adore this photos....I have a friend who has a shed on some property she bought a few years ago...corrugated metal, full of character...she's been threatening to tear the shed down for years and I've taken pictures of it in all seasons - hoping to show her its beauty and waging my one woman save the shed movement.

just a few days ago she mentioned the shed and said it was coming down for sure before cold weather sets in!

thanks for all these wonderful pictures from ireland....and you may be picking up a little traffic from the mouse as I've added you as one of my favorite nibbles.

thanks....