Monday, July 6, 2009

Ridin' On The Back Roads


The fun thing about backroading in Ireland is that all you have to do is take a few random turns to wind up somewhere like here: All by yourselves (except for the sheep) in the pastoral splendor. Two words of warning, though:
  1. Fill up with gas before you go. Otherwise, you could come to "Road Closed -- Danger Flooding" sign on the other side of the town you planned on filling up in. When you're 30 kilometers from Crossmolina and the needle dances on E, it's harder to enjoy the beauty.
  2. Bring a map with place names in both English and Irish. Because you might find yourself in a Gaeltacht area with road signs in Irish only, which means that you have blunder out in the fashion you blundered in. Which is a considerably more difficult challenge.
But, with any luck, you also end up taking a pint at Healy Hotel directly across from Lough Conn, complete with wedding party.

In my secret life...









8 comments:

Rupert said...

These are truly sumptuous photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

Rupert

Annette said...

Absolutely beautiful, thank you for sharing your trip with us back here.. these are great pictures.. I know I will never be able to travel to Ireland and this makes it possible for me to see it almost like I am there.

Sylvia K said...

Fabulous post and fantastic photos and I'm soooooo envious! Hope you're having a marvelous trip! Look forward to more!

Foxessa said...

Are the people in that people photo your family?

Love, C.

K. said...

None of them! Just a random wedding party who didn't mind me taking their picture.

Ima Wizer said...

Wonderful, just plain wonderful! Looks cool, too. All that rain, I guess. Send it here, please.

K. said...

Thanks all. Rupert, welcome to Citizen K.; I hope to hear from you again.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff lad, my passprt is willing itself closer to the front door with every pic I see.