Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday Funnies and Arts









"This machine surrounds hate and forces it to surrender." John Hayes finds the link between 9/11, Pete Seeger, Johnny Cash, and Herman Goring...


My parties are never this good. Maybe it's because I never lived in Santa Fe...

PHOTO GALLERY
Scene shop entrance, or Vermeer in New Orleans...

Perfect pitch in the French Quarter...

Premium T. treks to Ballinrobe, Roundfort, Kilmaine, and Cong on a Harry Clarke pilgrimage. Clarke was the Michelangelo of stained glass, and five churches right here in County Mayo can boast examples of his brilliance. The locals we conferred with in a Roundfort didn't know this, though, and had trouble getting their heads around the idea that two people from Seattle would visit Roundfort intentionally. One older gentleman may have known who I was talking about; it was hard to tell as his Mayo brogue bordered on brick-like thickness. As we drank tea (on the house, it turned out), the men at the bar placed bets on televised horse races. The publican phoned them in while a 30-ish blonde out of an Edna O'Brien novel surveyed the proceedings quietly from her perch at the end of the bar.

You've seen her before: No rivals in Roundfort, but just another pretty face in Dublin. She appreciates the male attention, but despairs of her choices. She hates Roundfort, but fears to leave...

Sailor suits galore...

When I get back to Newport, I want Roy to show me sights like these...

Valentino leading lady Agnes Ayres gets carded...

ON THE JUKEBOX
Emmylou and Steve Earle say "Good Bye" with help from Sharon Shannon...




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful version of "These Days," which is a fantastic song. Thanks for the shout out on the Seeger post. That apparently cost some subscribers, but obviously I have no regrets about saying it.

Editilla~New Orleans Ladder said...

Hey K, (and K Ration)
I'm looking for books that burn pastors.
Can you do a post here about it?
We could start a list, make it go viral, vaccinate the body politic...

John, that was an excellent post! The subscription thingy seems like a finger-trap, and that't totally me btw... so'z I hit the Follow button. Thought I was already following the Banjo.
If I can figure out the subscription thingy I'll do that too.

K, what am I going to do about the Cardinals. Jeez.

K. said...

John: I just reread your post. There's nothing in it that should surprise a regular reader. Love the jazz web page!

Editilla: 162 games. The most unforgiving number in sports always separates the wheat (or the white, as Archie Bunker had it) from the chaff. But how about Dusty Baker? The so-called experts laughed when the Reds hired him. Supposed to have officially attained retread status, Dusty was said to be the exact wrong manager for a young team. I guess that when you're good, you're good.

As for the right Rev. Jones, he's like a character out of Huckleberry Finn, a combination of the Duke, the Dauphin, and the Widow Douglas' sister. Enough to make a guy light out for the Territory ahead of the rest...

Cile said...

As usual a great Sunday post, K. You are an inspiration for me to step up and post more! Thanks.

nursemyra said...

Thanks for the links K, again I see I'm in illustrious company. Love the dinner party story.

Roy said...

I'm with John - that's an absolutely gorgeous version of "These Days".

That Ben Sargent third from the top is oh so unfortunately true! Remember when JFK actually had to give a speech in TX in 1959 while on the Presidential campaign trail to assure the electorate that he firmly believed in the separation of church and state and electing him was not going to mean that the Pope would rule the US?

K. said...

John, Roy: Gregg Allman, of all people did a nice cover of "These Days." He may even have recorded it before Jackson Browne.

NM I and NM II: I'm the one who's in illustrious company! Thanks for dropping by.

Roy: Ben Sargent is one the many good reasons to live in Austin. When Mitt Romney addressed the same group, conservatives tried to call it his Kennedy moment. Trouble was, Mitt sucked up to them while Kennedy made no bones about his commitment to the 1st Amendment: Not only would the pope not influence him, neither would Southern Baptists.

In 1928, Herbert Hoover defeated Al Smith in the midst of a wave of anti-Catholicism. The joke after was that Smith sent a one-word telegram to the pope: "Unpack."

Ima Wizer said...

Thank you K for the link......come to any dinner party I have though I suspect T's are much grander and in better taste!